permit facts

Unincorporated Placer

Placer offers FREE filming permits. County film permits are required for commercial media productions (including print), and student media productions, if filming on:

  • County-owned property.
  • Private property in unincorporated Placer County areas

City Permits

The following six incorporated cities in Placer County have their own film permitting requirements. Please contact the appropriate jurisdictions below for more information.

City of Auburn

1225 Lincoln Way
Auburn, CA 95603
Phone – Auburn Police Chief:
530-823-4237, ext. 201

City of Colfax

P.O. Box 702
Colfax, CA 95713
Phone: 530-346-2313

City of Lincoln

600 6th Street
Lincoln, CA 95648
Phone: 916-434-3220

Town of Loomis

3665 Taylor Road
Loomis, CA 95650
Phone: 916-652-1840

City of Rocklin

3970 Rocklin Road
Rocklin, CA 95677
Phone: 916-625-5160

City of Roseville

311 Vernon Street
Roseville, CA 95678
Permits: 916-774-5974
General: 916-774-5452

State and Federal Permit Information

These links are provided as a courtesy and do not represent a complete list of the state and federal agencies located in Placer County. The Film Office can assist in providing contacts to many other jurisdictions and which may have permits and procedures for filming within their jurisdictions.

Permitting for Drones

All federal FAA regulations for commercial filming apply in Lake Tahoe. Some jurisdictions have special restrictions. For instance, all California State Parks and State Beaches in the Lake Tahoe Basin have a “no drone” policy because of the large number of park visitors year around. Their policy extends out 800’ from shore. However, theirs is a small part of the Tahoe area. Please check with our office about options.